Farhana Butt LLB
Partner, Team Leader, Family Mediator & Collaborative Lawyer
- Collaborative Law
- Family Mediation
Farhana is a Partner and leads the Family Team at Hunt & Coombs.
Farhana qualified as a solicitor in 1999 and has worked exclusively in Family Law in the Peterborough area since then. She is a qualified Family Mediator and a member of the Family Mediators Association. Farhana belongs to the Peterborough Collaborative Family Law Group, a new way of resolving family law matters without court action. She is one of only 2 lawyers in Peterborough (the other is Denis White who also works for Hunt & Coombs) accredited by Resolution in 'dealing with complex financial arrangements following the breakdown of relationships'.
Farhana is a leading Family Law solicitor who helps clients with separation, divorce, pre-nuptial contracts, cohabitation agreements and children's residence and contact arrangements. She has considerable experience of handling divorces involving complex financial arrangements and substantial property holdings. Farhana is one of the most prominent Asian family lawyers in the local area and has frequently advised on the validity of religious ceremonies under English law.
Farhana has been involved with a number of local charities. She was a Trustee of Relate Peterborough and District from 2001 to 2013 and held the position of Chairperson from 2003 to 2005. She was also a member of the Peterborough Business Support Group for the NSPCC and currently is the Secretary for the Peterborough and District Family Mediation Service. She is also Chair at the Local Family Law Group.
In 2017, Farhana has continued to be a Leading Individual and is recommended by the Legal 500 in her area of expertise:
Legal 500 Leading Individual
- "Hunt & Coombs LLP is ‘an excellent firm, one of the best in Peterborough’. Team head Farhana Butt is noted for her ‘objective advice; she knows when to twist and when to stick’." Legal 500 2016
- "Butt is praised for her ‘determination, business awareness, interpersonal skills and loyalty to clients’." Legal 500 2017
- "Edward Owen and team head Farhana Butt ‘all have excellent in-depth knowledge of their areas of law’. They are all collaboratively trained and do the majority of their own advocacy." Legal 500 2017
- "‘An approachable, busy firm with bucketloads of experience’, Hunt & Coombs LLP ‘has an excellent reputation, especially in the areas of child protection and high-value matrimonial matters’." Legal 500 2017
Specifically, Farhana can advise on:
- Divorce and Separation - advising you if you are facing the breakdown of your Marriage or Civil Partnership and representing you in Court.
- Preparing for Marriage or Cohabitation - advising you on any steps you can take to protect your assets and prepare for the future before getting married or moving in with someone.
- Acting for Parents - providing advice on arrangements for residence and contact with children after family breakdown.