Guide to buying a property
What we will do for you:
- We will confirm your formal instructions to buy the property;
- We will obtain the contract package from the seller’s solicitor;
- We will carry out searches, review the legal title, raise the appropriate enquiries and report to you;
- We will deal with your mortgage lender once the formal offer is received including obtaining the money advance;
- We will help you liaise with the seller and estate agent to agree a completion date;
- We will exchange contracts for you, complete the purchase in a timely and prompt manner;
- We will deal with all deposits and completion funds between you and the seller;
- We will submit the Stamp Duty Land Tax return to HMRC and deal with any payments due; and
- We will register the property in your name at the Land Registry. Once it is registered, we will send to you the title deeds and/or store any original documents in our strong room at no further charge to you.
What we will need you to do:
- Provide us with your completed formal instructions, identification and a percentage of fees on account;
- You will need to check the property you are buying against the information provided and advise us if there are any discrepancies;
- Arrange for a survey of the property and let us know if there are any issues;
- If required apply for a mortgage with your lender;
- Apply for buildings insurance together with life cover;
- Book your removals and make arrangements from exchange of contracts;
- Promptly return to us any documents which we ask you to sign;
- Provide us with a deposit or a balance required to complete (if required);
- Inform utility companies (gas, electric, water, phone), the Local Authority, Post Office etc… of change of address and take meter readings; and
- Collect your new keys from the Estate Agent on the day of completion by 2pm.
Request a quote
For further help and advice on the above or to request a quote please contact your local Conveyancing Team on:
- Peterborough 01733 882800
- Huntingdon 01480 411224
- Oundle 01832 273506
- St Neots 01480 702207
Or email the Residential Conveyancing Team directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advice on protecting yourself against online fraud
Online fraud is on the increase specifically in property transactions. To help keep yourself safe from this threat please view our advice on protecting yourself.