Denis White LLB
T: 01733 865329
Denis was educated at Xaverian College in Manchester and gained his LLB from Sheffield before attending the College of Law in Guildford and qualifying in 1976. Denis was formerly Chairman of Peterborough & District Round Table and was also Chairman of a local primary school Board of Governors for nearly 20 years. He was vice chair and trustee of Drinksense.
Denis is a member of the Collaborative Family Law Group, the Law Society Children's Panel and the Charity Law Association. He sat on the Law Society Legal Aid Appeals Committee and served as the Family Law Solicitor representative on the Peterborough and Cambridge Family Justice Board from its inception until he retired in 2019. He is a Chairman of the Diocese of East Anglia Child Protection Commission.
Denis is accredited by Resolution in dealing with complex financial arrangements following the breakdown of relationships in cases involving people with medium or high incomes, valuable assets, tax implications and sometimes foreign and company or partnership issues. He was one of the first collaboratively trained solicitors In the country.
Denis retired from his role as Senior Partner at Hunt & Coombs in 2018 but it still actively involved as a consultant representing mainly children, instructed from CAFCASS in the more complex public law and private law proceedings. He has just been reaccredited by the Law Society Children Panel. He is still regarded as one of Peterborough's leading family lawyers and was recently invited to present at the Local Family Justice Board, training webinar on the subject of deprivation of liberty orders for children having represented the child in a leading case on that subject.
In 2020, Denis continued to be a Leading Individual and again has been recommended by the Legal 500 for his expertise in Family work.
Legal 500 Leading Individual
Private Client - Family
- "...Denis White is known for his work on complex financial arrangements and children matters." Legal 500 2021
- "Denis White and Edward Owen are often the first choice "go-to" people if there is an urgent family case at court and a party needs a lawyer urgently. Both are very experienced and ideal for this type of case because of their calm and measured approach." Legal 500 2020
- “Very experienced, insightful and wise.” Legal 500 2019
Chambers UK 2020
Chambers guides are the culmination of thousands of in-depth interviews by a large research team and are trusted globally to objectively rank the world's lawyers and law firms.
- "Denis White remains a prominent presence in the regional family law market. A consultant with the firm, he continues to offer the benefit of his significant experience in financial matters as well as both public and private children law, including handling complex care proceedings on behalf of children." Chambers UK 2020
Specifically, Denis can advise on:
- Divorce and Separation - advising you if you are facing the breakdown of your marriage or Civil Partnership and representing you in Court.
- Preparing for Marriage or Cohabitation - advising you on any steps you can take to protect your assets and prepare for the future before getting married or moving in with someone.
- Acting for Parents - providing advice on arrangements for residence and access to children after family breakdown.
- Acting for Children - providing advice to court-appointed Guardians on Child Protection laws on how to protect a child's interests.