Farhana Butt LLB
Partner, Team Leader, Family Mediator & Collaborative Lawyer
T: 01733 882809
- Agriculture and rural services
- Collaborative Law
- Family Mediation
Farhana is a Partner and leads the Family Team at Hunt & Coombs.
After qualifying as a solicitor in 1999, Farhana has worked exclusively in family law in the Peterborough area. She is a qualified family mediator and a member of the Family Mediators Association. Farhana belongs to the Peterborough Collaborative Family Law Group, a way of resolving family law matters without court action. She is one of only 2 lawyers in Peterborough (the other is Denis White who also works for Hunt & Coombs) accredited by Resolution in 'dealing with complex financial arrangements following the breakdown of relationships'.
Farhana is a leading family law solicitor who helps clients with separation, divorce, pre-nuptial contracts, cohabitation agreements and children's residence and contact arrangements. She has considerable experience of handling divorces involving complex financial arrangements and substantial property holdings. Farhana is one of the most prominent Asian family lawyers in the local area and has frequently advised on the validity of religious ceremonies under English law.
Farhana has been involved with a number of local charities. She was a Trustee of Relate Peterborough and District from 2001 to 2013 and held the position of Chairperson from 2003 to 2005. She was also a member of the Peterborough Business Support Group for the NSPCC and currently is the Secretary for the Peterborough and District Family Mediation Service. She is also Chair at the Local Family Law Group.
Specifically, Farhana can advise on:
- Divorce and Separation - advising you if you are facing the breakdown of your Marriage or Civil Partnership and representing you in Court.
- Preparing for Marriage or Cohabitation - advising you on any steps you can take to protect your assets and prepare for the future before getting married or moving in with someone.
- Acting for Parents - providing advice on arrangements for residence and contact with children after family breakdown.
In 2019, Farhana, continued to be a Leading Individual and is recommended by the Legal 500 in her area of expertise:
Legal 500 Leading Individual
- “The ‘very knowledgeable and supportive' Farhana Butt leads the family practice and 'knows when to move a case to the next level; she considers all possible outcomes and always provides sound advice that guides clients to make good decisions'.” Legal 500 2019
- “'This firm appears to be at the very top of the market for family work in Peterborough', ...” Legal 500 2019
- “It acts in high-value private matrimonial finance cases and has expertise in farming matters, business assets, pensions, pre-nuptial agreements and Trusts of Land cases.” Legal 500 2019
- "Butt is praised for her ‘determination, business awareness, interpersonal skills and loyalty to clients’." Legal 500 2017
- "Hunt & Coombs LLP is ‘an excellent firm, one of the best in Peterborough’. Team head Farhana Butt is noted for her ‘objective advice; she knows when to twist and when to stick’." Legal 500 2016
Chambers UK 2018
Chambers guides are the culmination of thousands of in-depth interviews by a large research team and are trusted globally to objectively rank the world's lawyers and law firms.
Farhana is described as being a 'notable practitioner' and has received a Band 2 recommendation for her Family & Matrimonial work in Peterborough and surrounds from Chambers UK 2018.
- "She has notable experience in handling complex financial matters which include high-value assets and tax issues." Chambers UK 2018