Paddy Appleton LLB TEP
Partner, Head of Private Client
T: 01832 270524
- Agriculture & Rural Services
- Charity & Not For Profit
- Services for Education Sector
- Wills, Trusts & Probate
Paddy is a Partner and Head of Private Client.
He also specialises in tax planning and has considerable expertise in helping clients plan for the future.
Paddy gained an LLB at Leeds University before attending Chester College of Law. He qualified as a solicitor in 1985. Paddy is a member of STEP, Solicitors for the Elderly, the Law Society Probate section and is an Associate Member of the Institute of Legacy Management. He is also a past President of the Peterborough and District Law Society.
Specifically, Paddy can advise you on:
- Preparing a Will - helping you to draw up a Will and consider the tax implications of how you leave your property.
- Pre and post death tax planning - helping you to reduce the amount of tax you pay in your lifetime and on death by the use of appropriate financial planning and trusts.
- Inter-generational tax planning strategies to help your children pay less tax in the future.
- Drawing up a Lasting Power of Attorney - preparing for the future by drawing up an LPA to ensure that your property and your welfare are managed as you wish if you become incapable of doing so yourself.
- Applying to the Court of Protection for the appointment of a Deputy should it no longer be possible to complete a Lasting Power of Attorney.
- Administering an estate when someone has died – dealing with all aspects including obtaining the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration and dealing with the Revenue.
- Administering family and other trusts.
- Care Home Fees - planning for the possible impact of care home fees in the future by developing strategies to fund such care, which minimise the impact on your assets.
- Advising on Charity set ups and constitutions.
In 2020, Paddy, continued to be a Leading Individual and was again recommended by the Legal 500 in the following areas of his expertise.
Legal 500 Leading Individual
Private Client - Personal Tax, Trusts & Probate
- "Paddy Appleton has been superb. He has a great bedside manner, superb knowledge and an ability to package complicated information into ways that clients can easily understand." Legal 500 2021
- “...Paddy Appleton in Oundle is ‘likeable and friendly and explains things simply; he is very good with estate probate and agricultural issues’.” Legal 500 2019
Private Client - Charities & Not for Profit
- “Head of charities Paddy Appleton advises numerous charities on the drafting, amendment or interpretation of their constitutions and their registration with the Charity Commission. He also supports them in tax planning matters.” Legal 500 2019
Legal 500 Recommended Lawyer
Private Client - Agriculture and Estates
Chambers UK HNW Guide 2020
Chambers guides are the culmination of thousands of in-depth interviews by a large research team and are trusted globally to objectively rank the world's lawyers and law firms.
Chambers UK HNW Notable Practitioner
- 'Head of the private client department Paddy Appleton is well known for his strength in the full gamut of tax planning matters. He is particularly experienced in estate administrations and mandates related to lasting powers of attorney. A wealth adviser says: "He is always very knowledgeable, has a strong bedside manner with clients and sees things through to a timely conclusion."' Chambers UK HNW 2020