The Partners at Hunt & Coombs Solicitors take their responsibility for the environment very seriously and actively encourage staff and suppliers to limit their use of the world’s natural resources. They recognise that environmental issues form an integral part of their business and are committed to the continual improvement of the firm’s environmental performance in relation to its services and operations.
We are delighted to be holding the Investors in Environment (“IIE”) Green Award and in November 2014 we were awarded the Great Green Star Award by IIE and Peterborough Environmental City Trust. We still continue to hold this award and in 2019 we were awarded the Overall Achievers Award.
Find out more in our article: Our Green Success Story, promoting environmental issues for over 10 years!
As an office based company based in Peterborough, with branch offices in Oundle, Huntingdon and St Neots, the main environmental issues which concern us relate to the use and recycling of office consumables, (especially paper and stationary) the use of energy and water, the reduction of waste and personal and business travel.
We have taken specific decisions which have a positive impact both on the environment and on the firm’s efficiency. These include:
- Getting our staff involved - we have “green” days to raise money for environmental charities, run competitions and encourage new ideas;
- Installing a modern and efficient heating system - we now use nearly 40% less gas than we did 5 years ago;
- Recycling - all areas of the office have recycling bins and the kitchens have compost bins. We take part in the Zero Waste Week challenge each year;
- Recycling confidential waste - we have a considerable amount of confidential waste which is shredded on site by a private contractor and taken away to be recycled;
- Recycling old office equipment - including computers, printer cartridges and batteries. Office furniture is also renovated where possible;
- Paper - we use FSC certified paper sourced from sustainable forests and all our marketing materials are printed on recycled paper;
- Setting our printers to double side default where possible and staff are asked to print all internal communications double sided and use paper save (4 sides to a piece);
- Re-using office stationary wherever possible such as ring binders and plastic wallets;
- Sustainable Travel - we have a travel plan, provide a bike shed for staff to leave their bikes and encourage staff to car share, walk to work and walk to court appointments where possible;
- Training - we arrange training courses in house to save travel and where travel is necessary use public transport where possible; and
- Gardening – we have a compost bin in the Peterborough office garden and a bug hotel! Many of our staff grow their own vegetables and involve their families.
Hunt & Coombs Solicitors are committed to seeking further improvements to increase efficiency in the use of energy and water and have now set targets to reduce our use of gas, electricity, water and paper. We have an environment policy which is made available to staff, clients and suppliers and a detailed working policy document which sets out the work we have done over recent years and our plans for the future. The policy is reviewed annually to incorporate new ideas and initiatives and to review our targets.